The future of comics ( 3 comics = 15 points)


For this week, I read “Step Aside, Pops, ( Hark! A Vargant)” and “Perry Bible Fellowship". Plus my favorite "Lackadaisy"

Both of them are web comics strips. This is one of my most favorite media to read when I am bored. These tiny strips are so funny and easy to read. In Perry Bible, I enjoyed that most of the humor is very dark and very bright. The author should look at life from a different perspective than others.

I also immensely enjoyed the art style, so simple and perfect for this kind of small stories. I love how only some moments and details are over-detailed or rendered, but only when the artist wants to transfer our attention to the specific moment.

With Step Aside, I enjoyed that some of the strips' characters are a historian and political figures, so to understand the idea you need to know some history or at least what is relevant right now in the world. The style is so loose, but the characters are extremely funny drawn. I especially liked the part where the artist was doing a small strip for Nancy Drew book covers.

Besides these comics strips, I also regularly read Lackadaisy web comic. I love how with web comics, you can see how the artist's style improves, and that is what I see with Tracy Butler’s Lackadaisy. The first pages are drawn with a simple graphite pencil, but the most recent messengers are fully rendered in Photoshop, and some of them even have colors.

The level of details that Tracy brings on her pages is breathtaking. She is my forever inspiration.

I love that comics and graphic novels are not dying, they are still trendy, but the medium is transforming. And I think in a better way, now everyone no matter of the skill, position in life can publish their ideas and with persistence become a professional. And this time, the people decide what comics deserve to become professionals and not the big studio's heads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Arrival (3 points)

OSAMU TEZUKA, Buddha 1,2 - (9 points)

George Herman comic strips (2 point)