Killing Joke (2 points)

 1) After reading the Killing Joke, I had a weird feeling that I don't usually feel after reading or watching a superhero movie or comic. I thought that this story might actually happen in real life. Of course, there are some romantic fantasy elements, but they look so harmoniously in the story, so you really start to believe in it. I really liked how these comics portrayed the relationship between Batman and Joker. They seemed like old friends who just now hate each other, but are still friends and have similar past or at least similar experience, but each chooses their own paths. Overall, I liked this story because I wasn't expecting it to be so severe and dramatic. I believe after such a depiction, readers started to expect more dark and real stories of superheroes.

2) While reading the Killing Joke, I noticed many times that I genially am scared of Joker during this story. I am not a big fan of superheroes, but I watched some movies with Joker, and never I felt that he is that scary, he was crazy for me and evil, but I wasn't afraid of him. In this story, I am not sure why Joker really feels creepy because of the actions or the art. I usually never am getting scared when I read, but this story got me. I felt uneasy. 

3) I am not sure that this story would feel and work the same if you changed something. I guess I would make a small TV series out of this story. I will break it into episodes of Joker's flashbacks and the real-time events. I probably would add a little bit more horror and details in the part where Joker falls into chemicals and turns into Joker. I felt that this part in the comic was too rushed.

4) I am not a big fan of superheroes because I always felt that the basic concept of super people in costumes in our real world is just stupid. So I don't have many examples to compare with. But I definitely expected the basic story, where Batman tries to catch Joker while he is committing crimes. In some way, that is what I got, but all the characters felt so severe and natural, dark and creepy. I didn't think that this is a stupid story.

I think the flashbacks that are showing the Joker as he was before and how he got where he is really helped me to ground this story in my mind and believe in it more. I would say that history feels much more adult than the usual superhero stories I am used to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Arrival (3 points)

OSAMU TEZUKA, Buddha 1,2 - (9 points)

George Herman comic strips (2 point)