Contemporary literature (12 points)


For this week, I read "Fun Home" and "Asterious Polyp."

With "Fun Home," I believe it is an excellent story with some fantastic art. I love how simple and yet expressive it is. The artist uses just the black inks and the blue marker. And this color choice and style makes excellent sense for the story. The story itself is pretty heavy and a bit depressing for me. Even though I am not a fan of such stories, I think it is important to read such stories, primarily autobiographical. It is vital to find out different people's experiences about their life and feelings. That way, we can understand the world better.

The story of Asterious Polyp left me with more feeling than the first one. Even though it is too biographical and a bit sad. But I fell in love with the art style of this comic. The way artists show different people using different colors, types, bubbles, and even just the art style is refreshing and fun. I love how sometimes artists can become abstract in his images when Polyp tells about his job or his feelings. I love an idea with the spotlight that was rarely on his wife, but she desperately needed it.

The story is still pretty sad and moves you like a rollercoaster of feelings. Where main characters felt in love, but then got separated, when he regretted his actions, when he finally came back to her, and then this meteor again in the end.

No matter what, I loved the art style very much and wished to become as masterful with line-work as this artist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Arrival (3 points)

OSAMU TEZUKA, Buddha 1,2 - (9 points)

George Herman comic strips (2 point)